TO GRANDMOTHER'S HOUSE WE GO


A ROOM WITH A VIEW
Recently Frank suggested that I had an alter
ego. Upon reviewing my selections for an
upcoming auction he likened me to "an old
Italian lady." Inferring that I and my "picks"
were much better suited for a grande dame's
apartment in Rome. And while part of me
bristles at being deemed obsolete, I'm more
than comfortable with that slur. A few years
ago we spent over a month in this charming
Roman home. On Via Greci near the Spanish
Steps. A tiny byway closed to traffic. Across
from the Conservatorio Santa Cecilia. Behind
Sant' Atanasio on Via del Babuino. Heaven!
LOCO FOR ROCOCO
Rather than be the stereotypical gay man I try to
stray from "fussy." However deep within me lurks
a prima donna with an over the top rococo palazzo.
One who wants nothing more than to live amidst
fantastic finery. Fortunately said ilk is somehow
balanced by my love for sleek modernity. And a
husband who keeps me from going baroque. Thus
I'm the decorative manifestation of yin and yang.
Which in part is why I love running an antiques
store. In theory I'm able to buy things that I would
otherwise eschew. Yet in practice I've learned that
rather than overindulge my inner "granny" it's best
to buy things that will actually SELL. Imagine that!
NOW AND THEN
All of my life I've loved old things (objects.... not
just Frank). Everything in life comes with it's own
baggage especially objects. Along with patina fine
vintage items are accompanied by their own mojo.
A residual aura based on who and where they've
resided prior. Terrifying tales of demon possessed
teapots aside, everything has its story to tell. Yet
rarely do we necessarily know the provenance of something we've purchased. The exception being
when we come across a single owner auction. One
whose lifetime of curation "clicks" with our own
tastes. That's when we want to buy everything! In
a way honoring those who have gone before us.
ADOPTION SERVICE
Life goes on. And fortunately beautiful things seem
to have a life of their own. Said decorative destiny
involves multiple lovers who over the years cherish
and protect them. Therefore while picking through
the debris of somebody else's existence may seem
a tad depressing, we consider it validation of a life
well spent. At C+V HOME we only buy things we
"love." All of which were one another's treasures.
Hence much like facilitating the adoption of some
charming pup, our hope is that each of our "babies"
end up in a good home. In essence they're hand me
downs. From one "granny" to another and so forth.
Proof that love never dies. It simply moves on...

IN A SWIRL
Now $685, was $1,150

PARLEZ VOUS FRANCAIS?
Now $395, was $795

WELL LIT
Sorry, just SOLD!

ALL TIED UP
Now $750, was $1,200

FULLY ENSCONCED
$350




415 West Janeaux Street
Lewistown, Montana 59457

406-366-3604
www.cvhomemt.com

Comments

C+V Hot Topics